Creative Thailand

THEATRE: a Thai brand that interprets haute couture

Writer : Editor Team

Translator : Parisa Pichimarn




                Photo caption: Couture designer and owner of THEATRE brand Sirichai Daharanont’s collection “From Vienna to Vientiane Couture Collection” at “The Pop Couture Club” event, the first global-level, couture fashion show in Thailand.

Once compared with ready-to-wear fashion or fast fashion, the highest level of fashion—known as haute couture—seems to be something irrelevant to Thais. But those in the fashion circuit know that haute couture has a powerful influence in the fashion industry. Haute couture collections by famous designers are usually the trendsetters for that season and once mentioned, what comes to mind is luxurious glamour and a high price tag that limits itself to only the top fashionistas of the world.





                Christian Lacroix, one of the couture designers of the world, once mentioned, “Haute couture should be fun, dumb and unbelievable.” In its origins, haute couture started in France, where haute couture clothes were not designed for everyday wear, but focused on the creativity of the designer. This type of clothes is considered a respected art form and also the embodiment of the highest level of inspirational creativity and meticulous craftsmanship coming together.  

Although the meaning of haute couture has changed with the times, today, haute couture fashion has become more wearable and practical if compared to its past counterparts. Many high-end fashion brands that have a leg in designing haute couture are familiar names such as Chanel, Christian Dior, Givenchy, Yves Saint Laurent and Christian Lacroix to name a few.

One can literally count off one hand when talking about designers that can create the highest form of fashion such as haute couture. One of the few names that holds a legendary position in Thai fashion is none other than the owner of the brand THEATRE, Sirichai “Jom” Daharanont, whom has create works that have been seen on countless runways both in Thailand and abroad.




                
The latest has seen Sirichai as one of the few Thai designers who has shown at “The Pop Couture Club,” namely Thailand’s first global-level couture fashion show which took place in October 2018. Naming this collection “From Vienna to Vientiane Collection,” Sirichai has taken inspiration from Baroque art. This European art style from the 17th century that cues in over-the-top opulence is mixed with the colorful hues of Thai local arts such as “Pee Ta Khon.” With its pearl decorations and vivid brightness, the collection stands out as an exchange of cultures between the East and West. With over 30 outfits, this collection is considered the biggest milestone yet in Sirichai’s fashion career which has spanned over 30 years—all the while maintaining his unique identity of THEATRE. He has mentioned in countless interviews with the press that while designing for THEATRE, he places 80% of importance on art and creativity, while the remaining 20% goes to trends at the moment.

For this reason, in all these decades gone by, THEATRE’s clothes remain one-of-a-kind and are referred to by some as “timeless fashion.” This means no matter how much time has passed, THEATRE clothes still look contemporary because it does not take after trends and retain its uniqueness.

Nevertheless, beyond the striking coming together of West and East in this couture collection, what Sirichai has done well is to retain his Feminine Masculine style. These androgynous designs means women can wear men’s pieces and men can pick up women’s clothes too. There is no doubt that this is the charm and DNA of Thailand’s leading couture designer and legendary brand that still shines across the ages.

Photo source

www.glamthailand.com

www.lofficiel.co.th

www.enchantedserenityperiodfilms.blogspot.com

www.ellethailand.com

Creative Thailand
Creative Thailand
Creative Thailand
Creative Thailand
Creative Thailand
Creative Thailand
0 0